Policy Area 9: Adopt the APPG definition on Islamophobia
Download our easy-to-read guide
- Commit to adopting the definition of Islamophobia produced by the APPG for British Muslims: “Islamophobia is rooted in racism and is a type of racism that targets expressions of Muslimness or perceived Muslimness”, and apply this definition alongside the CAI guidelines.
- Commit to work with schools, transport companies, the police force, and other public and private bodies to tackle Islamophobia at a local level.
- Commit to collaborate with the local Muslim community to challenge Islamophobia and to meet their needs such that they are encouraged to participate in public life.
- Commit to take further steps to tackle and raise awareness of Islamophobia, such as organising Islamophobia training, holding local events on the issue of Islamophobia, etc.
- Commit to work with other local stakeholders such as the local MP to raise awareness of Islamophobia in parliament and urge the UK Government to adopt the APPG definition of Islamophobia.