Head of Policy
Location: Remote working (subject to change)
Hours: 35 per week (full-time)
Salary: £35,000 - £40,000
We are looking for an enthusiastic team player with excellent communication, research, and management skills to lead our dynamic Policy Team. In this role, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the department as well as overseeing its long-term strategy and development. You will also be responsible for contributing to MEND’s organisational strategy and co-ordinating with other MEND departments as well as external stakeholders and partners to fulfil MEND’s overall objectives.
MEND’s mission is to ensure that Muslim communities have the knowledge, confidence, and information to self-advocate for their own interests. In pursuit of these efforts, MEND’s Policy Team provides the intellectual materials required to empower communities. Thus, in line with MEND’s overall objectives, the central aim of the Policy Team is to create educational and empowerment resources to allow Muslim communities to advocate for their rights and interests. These materials range from factsheets and accessible guides to presentations and in-depth educational courses for both public and corporate audiences.
Specifically, you will be involved in a variety of educational projects surrounding issues such as:
- Media output on Islam and Muslims.
- Islamophobia, hate crime, and religiously motivated discrimination.
- Policy development surrounding integration, social cohesion, and religion in society.
- Politically motivated violence and measures to prevent it.
- Encouraging the active engagement of British Muslims in political and media institutions.
- The impacts of COVID-19 on Muslim and BAME communities.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Directing strategy at a departmental and organisational level.
- Project management of all of MEND’s educational programs.
- Day-to-day management of Policy Team members.
- Producing analysis on current affairs and issues of importance to Muslim communities.
- Collaboration and communication with other MEND departments.
- Collaboration and communication with external partners and stakeholders.
- Translating complex information into educational and informative materials that are accessible to a public audience.
- Overseeing the design, content creation, and delivery of educational courses and materials.
- Delivering webinars and events surrounding topics and issues of importance to Muslim communities.
- Representing MEND at speaking and other media engagements.
- Other duties and responsibilities which are not outlined above but which are consistent with the role.
This is a great opportunity for an established researcher with a passion for policy driven social impact and proven management skills to contribute to a fast-expanding organisation dedicated to tackling the structural inequalities that minority communities face.
A successful candidate will be research driven with proven practical problem-solving skills, excellent project management experience, impeccable written and oral communication skills, and a strong understanding of the socio-economic and political challenges facing minority communities in the UK.
It is essential that the successful candidate is capable of managing their own projects and thriving with a high-degree of autonomy and independence whilst providing motivation, support, and direction to a team in remote working conditions.
For more info and how to apply, please read the full job description here: Job Description – Head of Policy – 220112
Optional: When submitting your application, we kindly ask applicants to complete the Equality & Diversity Monitoring Form to help us monitor and improve our practices: https://forms.gle/G4N9kaev21wsDBSv5